Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura.

Today is also the feast-day of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura (1838-1914). It was this saintly gentleman's vision of spreading bhakti-yoga beyond the boundaries of India, which directly led to the world-wide society of devotees of Krishna (ISKCON) as we know it now. So we owe him a great debt, and this is a good day to remember this and to thank him.

By the nineteenth century, the pure teachings of Gaudiya-vaishnavism had almost been lost and were buried under many kinds of adulterated versions. Bhaktivinoda Thakura, almost single-handedly, reestablished the true form and practice of Lord Chaitanya's teachings. His son, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura carried on his mission, and was the spiritual master of our own Srila Prabhupada.

Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura was well-read, not only in Vedic scriptures, but also the Bible and the Koran. In relating to other religious traditions, he wrote:

"When we have occasion to be present at the place of worship of other religionists at the time of their worship, we should stay there in a respectful mood, contemplating thus: 'Here is being worshiped my adorable highest entity God, in a different form than that of mine. Due to a different practice of a different kind, I cannot thoroughly comprehend this system of theirs. But seeing it, I am feeling a greater attachment for my own system. God is one. I bow down before His emblem as I see here and offer my prayer to my Lord who has adopted this different emblem so that He may increase my love toward Him in the form that is acceptable for me."

No comments: