Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My First Gaura-Purnima Festival.

Padma-malini dasi, former President of the Belfast Temple wrote this about her first Gaura-Purnima. Padma is presently teaching art at a school in Luton.

My first experience of celebrating the appearance of Lord Chaitanya had a profound and lasting effect on my life. Although it was almost twelve years ago, I clearly remember how the Hare Krishna mantra touched me and strengthened my faith in the teachings of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Krishna is present in His name and within His name there is the unlimited pleasure that we all want but usually run away from. I was fortunate to somehow catch a glimpse of the inner contentment and closeness to God that chanting can bring.

Half-way through my degree course in Belfast I took a year out to focus on my spiritual education. I had spent three years at a reputable university yet wanted more. I wanted to learn about more metaphysical and philosophical topics, and to bring more discipline into my life. I was attracted to Srila Prabhupada’s uncomplicated presentation of eastern philosophy and its practical application, and so decided to take time out from university to attend a one year residential course at the Belfast ISKCON temple.

Life in the temple was different. Rising before 4am daily to attend temple services and engage in meditation and prayer—how often had I gone to bed at this time as a student! Apart from assisting with various duties in the temple, my day was filled with classes and personal study. Not only was there so much information to learn, relating to the tradition but also codes of etiquette and guidelines that covered numerous aspects of life. I learned so much and began to feel energised and cleansed of my short yet intense spurt of student life.

Half-way through my course we began to prepare for Gaura Purnima, the celebration of the birth of Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. We learned about His life and teachings, and how He introduced the congregational chanting of Hare Krishna. Preparations for the festival started months in advance, ranging from sending invitations to finalising menus. A ten-hour sponsored kirtana was organized to encourage congregational members to chant together for an extended period on this auspicious festival day, as Lord Chaitanya had done daily with associates and disciples. Read more ...




No comments: